2.09.2013

Where's the Crust Pizza


I'm on a quest for a low carb wheat free pizza. Attempt Number One was this Where's the Crust Pizza. To see the original recipe, go to the link. To read my adaptation (and opinion), continue reading.

"CRUST"
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 egg
2 T. parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Pinch of black pepper

Whip all the ingredients with a hand-mixer.

I poured the "dough" onto a cooking sheet and spread it into a rectangle about 10X6. Then I baked it at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes and chilled it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. After it had cooled, I flipped it over and put the topping on the browned side so the other side would have a chance to cook more.

TOPPINGS
1/4 tomato sauce with a bit of Italian seasoning and garlic powder
3/4 C. mozzarella cheese
1/2 C. diced portabella mushrooms
12 pepperoni slices

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

MY OPINION

The main thing I changed was to cut the recipe in half and make it twice as thin as the recipe called for. This was a good decision....I think this would be really un-crust-like if it were thicker. Flipping the crust was also not in the original recipe.

Overall verdict: Sorta pizza-like, but I thought it was too "wet" to have a bread mouth-feel. It was good but far from great. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it's a 2. So, I'm still looking for a good pizza recipe!

Nutrition info
2 of 6 pieces (with only sauce and cheese) = Calories: 326 Protein: 21 Carbs: 6 Fat: 25

No comments:

Post a Comment