3.17.2013

Green Beans with Spinach Pesto and a Poached Egg


I've been trying to think of a way to add more veggies to breakfast so I was excited to find this recipe. The original recipe calls for a parsley pesto, but instead of buying parsley I decided to use what I had on hand - spinach. I found this recipe for a spinach pesto.

This is my version of the above recipes:
3 C. fresh spinach (tightly packed)
3 cloves garlic
3 T. parmesan cheee
3 T. slivered almonds
3 tsp. lemon juice
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
Salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper
Whiz it all up in the food processor, adding the olive oil in a slow stream. Toss with about 4.5 C. cooked green beans. (I popped it in the oven at this point - 350 degrees for 15 minutes. The original recipe doesn't call for this.) Divide into three portions, and top each with a poached egg. Makes three servings.

Calories: 319
Carbs: 16
Fat: 24
Protein: 14

This recipe is so simple and just bursting with flavor. (Plus you're getting about four servings of veggies, oddles of nutrients, and "good" fats from the almonds and evoo.) Serve with a few slices of bacon and a bowl of fruit and you have a perfectly scrumptious brekkie for a lazy Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment