3.29.2013

Meatless Mondays


I've been researching some ways to add variety to my eating, for a couple of reasons.

  1. I really like to eat animals but there are only so many ways to cook them before all the recipes start to sound and taste very similar. Food boredom can lead to diet derailment. 
  2. While losing weight, your body learns what you are doing and adapts to it which usually results in a dreaded plateau. Adjusting things occasionally can prevent this from happening. 
While doing this research, I found myself naturally gravitating to the idea of including one vegetarian meal each week. It would definitely introduce a whole new repertoire of recipes to my collection and would give me a lot of new foods and flavors to experience. However, non-meat protein sources like beans and grains are high carb. But maybe that's exactly the switcheroo my diet needs - one day that is higher in carb and lower in protein. 

I learned that there is an entire movement called Meatless Mondays that dates back to World War II. Going meatless one day a week has a significant impact on both your health and the environment. Read the list of these benefits here

So, beginning this Monday - April 1st - I will be going meatless on Mondays. I've started a pinterest board to collect recipes I want to try. I'm so excited to start this experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment