4.23.2013

Freeze your smoothie stuff!


A half-gallon carton of coconut milk/almond milk/soy milk has 8 servings and the expiration date is 7-10 days. So I would have to drink a protein smoothie every day to use all the milk before it goes bad. I don't. I drink maybe 2 or 3 a week. Dilemma.

And then I saw this pinned on pinterest. In the blog post, the author explains how to freeze all your ingredients for smoothies. She never specifically describes freezing milk but I thought....why not? So I measured out a serving (one cup) and poured it into ice cube trays; my trays made 10 cubes for one serving. When they were frozen solid, I popped them out of the trays and into freezer baggies. Now I can just pull one of those baggies from the freezer the night before, dump the cubes into my smoothie cup, and let it defrost in the fridge. In the morning I can make a smoothie with milk that doesn't have a questionable expiration date.

(Oh, and fyi. Silk Light Chocolate Soy Milk freezer cubes taste a whole lot like a Fudgsicle®! Two cubes (1/5 of a serving) has 18 calories and 3.2 carbs.)


And if you were wondering, this is my smoothie maker - a Back To Basics Blender Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment