5.06.2014

Cauliflower Hot Pockets


I was never a fan of Hot Pockets. The dough is nasty and the fillings taste very low quality. But did I eat them occasionally? Yep, because they're pretty damn convenient and cheap (which is, basically, the definition of processed foods).

Because of the "convenient" aspect of Hot Pockets, I was excited to find this recipe for Cauliflower Hot Pockets. The recipe creator just took the very popular idea of cauliflower crust pizza and made it into a Hot Pocket. Genius!

Low carb, wheat free, healthy.....and still convenient and cheap. Plus you're getting a couple extra servings of veggies! For the win.

I made mine with a filling of chicken, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, onions, and cheddar. (And I omitted the oregano, though that would yummy for one with Italian fillings.) 

Here's the nutritional info for the one I made (calculated with 1 oz. chicken, .25 oz. cheddar, 1/4 broccoli, and a sprinkling of the other veggies):

Calories: 201
Carbs: 8
Fat: 10
Protein: 21

Compared to the nutrition info for a Chicken & Broccoli Hot Pocket:
Calories: 290
Carbs: 37
Fat: 10
Protein: 10

If you're going for protein and not carbs - and ingredients you can recognize and pronounce - the homemade cauliflower version is the obvious choice.

Edited to add

So delish I made it again! I made half the dough into a breakfast hot pocket filled with scrambled eggs, spinach, and cheddar (which reheated in the oven perfectly). The other half I cooked the full 22 minutes, without filling it. Then I folded it, like a pita or a taco shell, and baked it for another 5 minutes. Then I filled it with meatballs for a meatball sub. So much yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment