4.13.2013

Fabulous food finds



I stumbled across this recipe for Peanut Butter Cookie Hummus and I was intrigued. I had all the ingredients on hand so I decided to whip up a batch. OMG! I taste tested it and it was all I could do to not sit down with a spoon and eat the whole bowlful.

All it is is garbanzo beans, peanut butter, a teensy bit of maple syrup, and vanilla extract. It smells and tastes just like cookie dough with no beany-ness at all.

I've thoroughly enjoyed slathering this on apples and celery all week long. And because it has half the calories of peanut butter (only 93 for 2 tablespoons as compared to about 200 in pb) I can eat twice as much!



On Tuesday, the weather suddenly turned very sunny and warm. It was in the mid-70s by afternoon! My thoughts were drifting to ice cream all day long. I'm really not a huge lover of ice cream, but there's something about that first almost-summer day, after a long cold dark dreary winter, that makes me crave it.

So, after a fabulous run and a yummy dinner, I indulged in some Magic Ice Cream (recipe).  It totally feels like ice cream in your mouth, but it's just....banana. You slice a banana, freeze it, and then whiz it up in the food processor. (And I think if you added some walnuts and dark chocolate chunks, you'd have something a whole lot like Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey!)

Now obviously, this stuff is never gonna taste like Häagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche or Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean. It's banana, and it's always gonna taste banana-y. But if you can get past that little factoid, Magic Ice Cream is a great way to make your mouth happy.

(One medium banana makes about 1/2 cup of "ice cream" with 108 calories, 25 grams of net carbs, and zero grams of fat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment